A child can be seen at any age. However, Your child’s first “regular” dental visit should be around age three. We strive to make a child’s first visit a short and positive experience. At home you can help your child get ready for their first visit. You can read children’s books about going to the dentist with them, talk positively about your own experiences, practice having them open and close their mouth, and/or look at their teeth with a flashlight.
During your child’s first visit your hygienist and dentist will:
- Examine the development of their mouth, teeth and gums
- Gently count and clean their teeth
- Evaluate habits like thumb sucking
- Check to see if your child needs fluoride
- Teach you about helping clean your child’s teeth and gums
- Suggest a schedule for regular dental visits